Contact Us
Mental Health
Financial advice
Youth Matters
Techno Corner
  Finance | Financial advice | Immigration | Special Needs | Accounting | Business | Labor Law | Asset Protection



Gail S. Seeram

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (“USCIS”) on behalf of your fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad. The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you, your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States. Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a nonimmigrant. A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.

If your fiancé(e) intends to live and work permanently in the United States, your fiancé(e) should apply to become a permanent resident after your marriage. (If your fiancé(e) does not intend to become a permanent resident after your marriage, your fiancé(e)/new spouse must leave the country within the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.) Please note, your fiancé(e) will initially receive conditional permanent residence status for two years. Conditional permanent residency is granted when the marriage creating the relationship is less than two years old at the time of adjustment to permanent residence status.

It is important to note that your fiancé(e) may enter the United States only one time with a fiancé(e) visa. If your fiancé(e) leaves the country before you are married, your fiancé(e) may not be allowed back into the United States without a new visa.

Who is eligible? U.S. citizens who will be getting married to a foreign national in the United States may petition for a fiancé(e) classification (K-1) for their fiancé(e). You and your fiancé(e) must be free to marry. This means that both of you are unmarried, or that any previous marriages have ended through divorce, annulment or death. You also must have met with your fiancé(e) in person within the last two years before filing for the fiancé(e) visa. This requirement can be waived only if meeting your fiancé(e) in person would violate long-established customs, or if meeting your fiancé(e) would create extreme hardship for you. You and your fiancé(e) must marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. You also may apply to bring your fiancé(e)'s unmarried children, who are under age 21, to the United States.

Will I get a work permit? After arriving in the United States, your fiancé(e) will be eligible to apply for a work permit. (You should note that USCIS might not be able to process the work permit within the 90-day time limit for your marriage to take place.) If your fiancé(e) applies for adjustment to permanent resident status, your fiancé(e) must re-apply for a new work permit after the marriage.

How can I appeal? If your petition for a fiancé(e) visa is denied, the denial letter will tell you how to appeal. Generally, you may appeal within 33 days of receiving the denial by mail. Your appeal must be filed on USCIS Form I-290B. The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU) in Washington, D.C.

Gail S. Seeram, an immigration attorney, handles cases involving family petitions, business/investors visas, citizenship, deportation, asylum, work authorization, and extension of status. Call her office toll free at 1-877-GAIL-LAW (1-877-424-5529), send an email at or visit her Web site at

Dilip Patel


In this article, I would like to discuss the immigration aspects of a change of address. It will come as no surprise that if you have an immigration application pending, you need to notify the Immigration Service if you move. However, people often forget that there is an obligation to file a change of address notification even if you do not have any pending applications and in some situations, even if you are a U.S. citizen. In this article, we will look at the situations where there is an obligation to inform the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (“USCIS”) of an address change, and also how to do it.

U.S citizens. In general, there is no requirement for U.S. citizens to update their address with the Immigration Service. The main exception is where the U.S. citizen (or even a permanent resident) has filed an Affidavit of Support on Form I-864. If at any time in the past you completed an Affidavit of Support on Form I-864 to sponsor an immigrant, you are required to report your change of address within 30 days of the change if the sponsorship agreement is still in force.

The sponsorship agreement remains in force until the sponsored immigrant:

Becomes a U.S. citizen;

Can be credited with 40 quarters of work;

Departs the United States permanently and either formally abandons lawful permanent resident status (by filing FormI-407) or is formally held in a removal proceeding to have abandoned that status;

In a removal proceeding, loses the lawful permanent resident status that the sponsored immigrant obtained based on your Form I-864;v or Dies.

Note: Divorce does not terminate the sponsorship agreement. Also note that there is no such obligation with respect to the Affidavit of Support on Form I-134.

The change of address has to be reported on Form I-865 available on the USCIS website at It is important to keep a copy of the form and use certified mail with return receipt so that you have proof of mailing and receipt. The penalties for failing to comply with this requirement can be as high as $5,000.

If you are a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident) and you have a case pending with USCIS. Even though it is not required by law, if you have filed any other application or petition with USCIS and it is still pending a decision, you need to update your address so you can get any notices or decisions on your application. I have been retained by several new clients recently to help them in situations where family based petitions filed by them a long time ago were denied because they did not respond to a notice sent to an old address. Re-filing a case would mean years of additional delay in many of the family-based preference petition categories. In such situations, a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider is perhaps the best hope for retaining the earlier priority date. For a pending case, you should write to the office, which is currently processing the application, and quote the full file number and basic details about the application along with details of the old and new addresses. In addition, you also should call the USCIS Customer Service section at 1-800-375-5283, and request them to update your address in the system. Unfortunately, it may take 30 minutes or longer to get to speak to a customer service representative.

The good news is that USCIS has recently enabled online address change procedures (discussed below), which will also update pending applications.

All others. The law requires nearly all non-U.S. citizens to report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11. The only persons exempt from this requirement are nonimmigrants currently in A or G status (foreign government officials and international organization aliens) and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and whose current stay in the U.S. has not exceeded or will not exceed 29 days. The USCIS has, in general, not strictly enforced the 10-day requirement. So, if you are not sure whether the USCIS has your correct current address, go ahead and update it now. As mentioned above, the good news is that you can now process your change of address notification online. The link is: and can be navigated from the USCIS website The best thing about changing your address online is that you can also update your address on any pending applications at the same time, and hopefully avoid the long call to USCIS Customer Service.

Approved Petitions Pending at the NVC. If your petition was approved and is at the National Visa Center for further processing or waiting for a visa number, you should inform them of any address changes. You should write to the NVC and include your case number or your USCIS receipt number so that they can locate the file. You can mail your letter to: The National Visa Center, 32 Rochester Avenue, Portsmouth NH 03801-2909; or fax it to 603-334-0791.

Summary. It is important to know about address change requirements – not only to comply with legal requirements – but also to ensure that any notices issued on pending cases reach you and avoid the risk of denial for failing to respond.

Dilip Patel is a Board Certified Immigration Attorney. He is the founder of the Dilip Patel, P.A. law firm ( and has practiced business and immigration law in the Tampa Bay area since 1990. Patel can be reached at (727) 712 0066 or by email at

Finance | Financial advice | Immigration | Special Needs | Accounting | Business | Labor Law | Asset Protection

Nikhil Joshi


This is the last of a three-part series of articles on the labor law-related challenges that entrepreneurs can face when they grow their businesses in part due to acquisitions of other properties that present an opportunity to enter a new market, to obtain greater economies of scale or to gain other value-added benefits.

As stated in prior articles, with the growth of mergers and acquisitions of such properties, it is incumbent upon those individuals considering acquisition to conduct a thorough due diligence, beyond mere financial review, of the properties under evaluation. We have already discussed the impact of the general employment laws and the labor (union-related) laws. Today, we will consider the three remaining areas, including the “employee benefits laws,” the immigration laws and the laws governing mass layoffs.


As part of its due diligence, the purchaser must seriously evaluate any retirement and/or benefit plans put into effect by the seller. The laws governing employee retirement and welfare benefits are extremely complex. Their application to the benefits implemented at the seller’s workplace, and thus any legal obligations that may arise, must be examined by experienced labor counsel, auditors and tax counsel to ensure compliance.

This examination is even more critical in the event the seller’s benefit plans are part of a multi-employer pension and benefits plan administered by a union. In the latter situation, the seller has a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the pension plan is not under-funded. If the plan is under-funded, the seller and, in some cases, the buyer may be assessed liability and steep financial penalties for the failure to adequately fund the plan under the federal labor and benefits laws.


Under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1996, the purchaser is responsible for ensuring that all immigration-related documentation applicable to the seller’s employees complies with the law. To wit, as the successor employer, the purchaser must review the I-9 Forms for all employees who will continue working for the purchaser to ensure that they remain eligible to work in the United States. It is recommended that the employees be asked to freshly complete I-9 forms when the new owners take over.

Moreover, certain positions in transient businesses such as hotel or resort operations may be staffed by workers of foreign origin who hold special work visas. These visas may be particular to the employer/business and may limit the worker to the specific position held. Immigration compliance issues may arise if there are any changes to the position or any changes to the employing entity. As a result, if the purchaser would like to continue the relationship with a worker on a visa in compliance with the immigration laws, it may have to evaluate the options available to amend the employment-based visa petition.


In some cases, if the purchaser is not acquiring the rights to retain the workforce of the seller, which will result in the termination of the seller’s employees, then the seller may have to comply with obligations under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) and state and/or local laws dealing with mass layoffs and closings. Employers who are covered under these laws have obligations to provide advance notice to employees who will be affected by the mass layoff or closing and, in some cases, to the municipality and state where the business resides.

Failure to do so may result in penalties being assessed against the employer in addition to the monetary remedies available to the employees who were not provided such notice. To determine whether your business is subject to these laws, please consult with your labor counsel as the threshold for coverage and compliance varies depending on the circumstances of the closure or layoff.

The information presented in this article is general in nature. Nothing in this article is intended to provide specific legal advice. Please contact your labor counsel or other counsel if you have any particular issues that require attention.

Nikhil N. Joshi, a labor counsel with concentration in Human Resources Management at Kunkel Miller & Hament, P.A. in Sarasota, can be reached at 800-828-7133 or e-mail

Contact Information
The Editor:
Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site. Copyright © 2004 Khaas Baat.

Anything that appears in Khaas Baat cannot be reproduced, whether wholly or in part, without permission. Opinions expressed by Khaas Baat contributors are their own and do not reflect the publisher's opinion.

Khaas Baat reserves the right to edit and/or reject any advertising. Khaas Baat is not responsible for errors in advertising or for the validity of any claims made by its advertisers. Khaas Baat is published by Khaas Baat Communications.